Friday July 28: 6:45pm – 8:45pm
Saturday, July 29: 8:45am – 5:30pm
Sunday, July 30: 8:45am – 12:15pm
Get empowered to better serve the couples you work with. Struggling couples can heal their relationships, learn to manage conflict, and deepen intimacy. The successful Gottman Method Couples Therapy is a structured, goal-oriented, scientifically based therapy. It is based upon empirical data from the study of more than 3,000 couples that showed what actually works to help couples achieve a long-term healthy relationship.
In this training, you will benefit from Drs. John Gottman and Julie Schwartz Gottman’s knowledge and wisdom from nearly 40 years of studies and clinical practice. You will learn to:
- Summarize the research that allows prediction of future relationship stability with 94% accuracy
- Describe the seven levels of the Sound Relationship House theory
- Conduct a couple’s therapy assessment using elements of the couple’s narrative, the Oral History Interview, written questionnaires, observations of conflict, and individual interviews
- Describe two interventions for each: to help strengthen a couple’s management of conflict; to enhance a couple’s friendship system; and to explore a couple’s system of shared meaning.
Gottman Method Couples Therapy Level 1 Training will provide you with an effective road map for helping couples compassionately manage their conflicts, strengthen their friendship and intimacy, and be able to share their life purpose and dreams. You will take home understanding and experience of the method and practical strategies to significantly impact your work.
Julie Gottman, PhD
Author and couples therapist
Julie Gottman is a psychotherapist, author, and cofounder, with her husband John Gottman, of the Gottman Institute.
A clinical supervisor for the Couples Together Against Violence study, she is internationally sought-after by the media as an expert advisor on marriage, sexual harassment and rape, domestic violence, gay and lesbian adoption, same-sex marriage, and parenting issues.
Dr. Gottman is cocreator of The Art and Science of Love, a popular weekend workshop for couples, and codesigner of the national clinical training program in Gottman Couples Therapy.
Inspiring, empowering, respectful, and kind—with a commitment to excellence and integrity—Dr. Gottman has been named the Washington State Psychologist of the Year. Her books include Ten Lessons to Transform Your Marriage, And Baby Makes Three, and The Man’s Guide to Women: Scientifically Proven Secrets from the ”Love Lab” About What Women Really Want.View Bio PageJohn Gottman, PhD
Relationship researcher and author
John Gottman is world-renowned for his work on marital stability and divorce prediction and has conducted more than 40 years of breakthrough research with thousands of couples.
Cofounder with his wife of the Gottman Institute, Dr. Gottman is professor emeritus of psychology at the University of Washington, where he founded “The Love Lab,” at which much of his research on couples’ interactions was conducted.
His work has earned him numerous awards, including the National Institute of Mental Health Research Scientist Award and the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Distinguished Research Scientist Award.
Dr. Gottman was named one of the Top 10 Most Influential Therapists of the past quarter-century by Psychotherapy Networker, and is author and coauthor of more than 200 published academic articles and more than 40 books, including The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, What Makes Love Last, and Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child.
Expand your professional tool kit to offer couples the practices and support they need to break through barriers to achieve greater understanding, connection, and intimacy in their relationships.
Deepen your understanding of what couples need to thrive in relationship and support each other's hopes and dreams.
Acquire new resources in a clinical manual, obtain CE credit, and connect with other like-minded professionals.
Things to Know/Schedule
Friday, July 28
6:45pm – 8:45pm
The Research: What Makes Relationships Succeed or Fail?
- What is different about Gottman Method Couples Therapy?
- What is dysfunctional about relationships when they are ailing?
- The “Masters” and the Disasters” of relationships: Exploding some common myths
- Negative and positive sentiment overrides
- Friendship, Intimacy, Positive Affect Systems
- The Shared Meaning System
- From a checklist to The Sound Relationship House Theory
Saturday, July 29
6:30 AM – 7:45 AM: Yoga and Meditation classes
7:00 AM – 8:30 AM: Breakfast
8:45am – 5:30pm
How to assess a relationship:
Using the Sound Relationship House Theory to assess a relationship’s strengths and areas that need improvement
The Assessment Sessions:
- Session 1: Office Disclosure and Office Policy Reviewed, How Therapy Works, Assessing the Couple Together:
- Couples Narrative
- Oral History Interview
- Videotape: Conflict Interaction
- Shared Meaning System
- Ending Session 1 – Preparing Couple for Individual Sessions
- Assessment: Written Questionnaires
- Session 2: Individual Sessions
- Session 3: The Therapeutic Contract: Discussing and Deciding about Goals. Summary of Strengths and Areas that Need Improvement
Introduction to Intervention – Constructive Conflict
- Assumptions of the Therapy
- Overview of the Therapy
- Goals of the Therapy
- Rapoport Intervention
- Ending the Four Horsemen
- Building the Basic Skills
- Aftermath of a Fight
Sunday, July 30
6:30 AM – 7:45 AM: Yoga and Meditation classes
7:00 AM – 8:30 AM: Breakfast
8:45 AM – 12:15 PM
Building Friendship and Shared Meaning
- Build Love Maps
- Turn Towards: The Stress-Reducing Conversation
- Build Rituals of Connection
- Create Shared Meaning
Process of Therapy
What’s Next: Additional Training
Clinical Q & A with Drs. John & Julie Gottman
This course has been approved for 12 CE hours for qualified participants. To learn how and where to apply, click HERE.
Cancellations and Refunds
If You Cancel
• If you cancel 14 or more days prior to your arrival date, payments made will be refunded in full (less a $50 processing fee).
• If you cancel between 13 days and 1 day prior to your arrival date, a nonrefundable credit (less a $50 processing fee) will be held for one year from the date of issue.
• No credit or refund is available if you cancel on your arrival day, if you do not show up, or if you leave a program or event early.
• No refund will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content.
If 1440 Multiversity Cancels
On rare occasions, due to unforeseen circumstances, 1440 Multiversity may need to cancel a program. Should this circumstance arise, you will receive a full refund.
For questions or concerns, please email [email protected], Programming Department.
The Seven Principles For Making Marriage Work, John Gottman and Nan Silver
Special Interest To
Psychologists, Social Workers, MFTs, Counselors, Psychiatrists, Allied professionals and clergy. All levels.
Those working in the following fields will benefit from this training: mental-health providers, allied professionals, clergy, students and interns, family clinic staff, professors and teachers of couples therapy, researchers in the social sciences, and employee-assistance professionals.
Upon completion of this training, attendees are awarded a Certificate of Completion. Included in the registration price is a 300-page Level 1 Clinical Training Manual, which contains the core Gottman Method Couples Therapy assessments and interventions.
About 1440 Multiversity
Beautifully nestled in the California redwoods near Santa Cruz, our 75-acre campus is within easy reach of San Francisco and Silicon Valley.
1440 Multiversity is a place to spend time engaging some of life's most meaningful personal questions and to enjoy, restore, and reenergize yourself as you do it.
You'll find new energy through immersion learning—setting aside daily urgencies and dedicating uninterrupted time to focus on important, but often elusive, priorities. Our unique collaboration with world-class faculty coupled with an original, inspirational curriculum and magnificent grounds make this a place like no other. Add in fresh, redwood-scented air, delicious and healthy food, deep reflection, fun exercise, and good sleep and you've pretty much captured what you'll experience here.
At 1440 Multiversity, you’ll find a wide range of accommodations to meet your preferences and budget. All of our rooms have been thoughtfully designed to provide comfort, promote reflection, and foster connection with others.
Accommodation rates include more than just the bed you sleep in.
Per-person per-night rates include:
- nourishing locally sourced, seasonal meals
- daily meditation and yoga classes
- non-ticketed evening events
- use of all facilities, including the Fitness Center, steam rooms, and infinity-edge hot tub.
Guests also enjoy access to woodland trails, cafés, and shops.