Plan Your Stay
We are delighted to host you at 1440 Multiversity. As you may wish to get a head start planning your stay, below are logistics and other details for your review. Once you book your program, you can expect to receive more comprehensive information about what to expect, what to bring with you, and what you will want to know before traveling to campus.
PLEASE NOTE: We opened our doors in May 2017 with huge excitement and the classrooms, residence buildings, communal spaces, Kitchen Table, and forest trails are alive with activity. Our campus is largely complete, yet some construction is still underway. Our Healing Arts center, offering massage and bodywork, is in its final stage of completion and is now in its soft opening phase. Our steam rooms will be ready for use later this winter. Our 800-person auditorium and Asian pod-style sleeping area are slated to be complete by February 2018. We are also finalizing landscaping in some areas.
Looking for something specific?
How to Register
The easiest way to register for programs and accommodations at 1440 Multiversity is to do so right here on our website. Once you find a program you are excited about, simply click Register, and you will be guided through accommodations choices and checkout. If you have any questions that are not answered here, you can call us toll-free at 1.844.544.1440 and leave a message that includes your name and phone number. We will call you back within 48 hours.
Arrival and Departure
We encourage you to allow for a little extra time on arrival day. Once you’ve checked in, you’ll appreciate having the time to settle into your room, explore campus, or take a meditation or yoga class before enjoying dinner.
- Check-in begins at 2:00 pm and rooms are ready by 5:00 pm.
- Dinner is served from 5:30 to 7:00 pm.
- An optional Welcome Session will be available at 6:45 pm.
- Most opening night program sessions begin at 7:30 pm.
On the last day of your stay, program sessions are scheduled to end by 11:30 am. Checkout is at 12:00 noon, and lunch is included in your stay (available from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm).
Location and Access
1440 Multiversity is located in Scotts Valley, California, less than 15 minutes (6 miles) north of the city of Santa Cruz, and 1.5 hours (70 miles) south of San Francisco. The San Jose airport (SJC) is a 40-minute drive to campus. There are direct flights into San Jose from Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, Phoenix, Denver, and Las Vegas, with flight times ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
Nonstop flights to San Jose, CA
On-site parking at 1440 Multiversity is limited. Given the immersive and all-inclusive nature of our on-campus experience, you do not need a car during your time with us.
We strongly encourage guests to take advantage of our shuttle service to and from the city of San Francisco and the San Jose airport, use a ride-share or shuttle service, carpool, or hire a taxi. Details on shuttle services and ride-shares can be found in our Bay Area Transportation document
The three closest airports to 1440 Multiversity are:
- Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC): 27 miles, ~ 40 min
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO): 60 miles, ~ 60-75 min
- Oakland International Airport (OAK): 60 miles, ~ 60-75 min
1440 Multiversity offers shuttle service from SJC on Friday and Sunday afternoons.
For online map directions or GPS, use the address: 800 Bethany Drive, Scotts Valley, CA 95066.
From the North – Greater Bay Area
- Take US-101 S, I-280 S, I-880 S, or I-680 S toward San Jose
- Where I-280 and I-880 intersect, I-880 S becomes CA-17 S
- Follow CA-17 S to Exit 5, Granite Creek Road / Scotts Valley Drive
- Continue per directions From the Scotts Valley Drive exit (below)
From the South – Santa Cruz, Monterey Bay, and points south
- From anywhere south of Santa Cruz, take CA-1 North into Santa Cruz
- Take exit 441B for CA-17 N toward San Jose / Oakland
- Follow CA-17 N to Exit 5, Granite Creek Road / Scotts Valley Drive
- Continue per directions From the Scotts Valley Drive exit (below)
From the Scotts Valley Drive exit
- At the light, turn right onto Granite Creek Rd
- At the next light, turn right onto Scotts Valley Drive
- At the first stop sign (about ½ mile), turn right to stay on Scotts Valley Drive
- In about 1/10 mile, bear left onto Bethany Drive
- After the first stop sign (about ½ mile), bear right to enter campus
Local Travel Times
Below are typical travel times to 1440 Multiversity from various Bay Area locations without traffic. We suggest that you build extra time into your travel plans and consult an online map service, as traffic can substantially increase travel time.
- Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC): 35-40 minutes
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO): 60-75 minutes
- Oakland International Airport (OAK): 60-75 minutes
- San Jose: 35-40 minutes
- Silicon Valley (Palo Alto, Mountain View): 40-45 minutes
- Downtown San Francisco: 60-90 minutes
- East Bay (Berkeley, Oakland, Richmond): 60-90 minutes
- Monterey: 60 minutes
Cost of Stay
The cost of your stay includes program tuition plus your all-inclusive room rate. Encompassing far more than just the bed you sleep in, our per-person accommodations rates cover all meals, daily meditation and yoga classes, non-ticketed evening events, and use of all facilities, including the fitness center and infinity tub. Healing arts treatments, café and retail items, and ticketed events are an additional cost.
Payment and Cancellation
Payment is due in full at the time of registration and can be made with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover.
Cancellations and Refunds
The following policies apply to all standard programs. Some programs may have special cancellation policies, which are detailed in the individual program descriptions.
- For cancellations made 14 or more days before the program start date, payments will be refunded in full (less a $50 processing fee).
- For cancellations made between 13 days and 1 day before the program start date, a nonrefundable credit (less a $50 processing fee) will be issued. Credits are held for one year from the date of issue.
- No refund or credit will be available if you cancel on the program’s start date, if you do not show up, or if you leave a program early.
- No refund or credit will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content.
Please note: On rare occasions, due to unforeseen circumstances, 1440 Multiversity may need to cancel a program. We will notify registrants of cancellation a minimum of one week in advance of the program start date and will offer a full refund for housing and tuition or the option to rebook in an available course or our R&R program offered at the same time period of the original reservation. If you are purchasing airfare to visit 1440, we recommend investigating travel insurance with appropriate coverage for ultimate flexibility, since 1440 will not reimburse for travel expenses.
For details about accessibility, and to ensure that we can provide assistance, please contact us at email@example.com or by calling 844-544-1440. All buildings are ADA accessible, and we have a variety of accessible housing types. The campus is on hilly terrain, and there is not a continuous accessible pathway throughout the campus. Each building has an accessible path into it and is connected to a public way. To ensure access between buildings that do not have an accessible path between them, 1440 Multiversity provides an ADA accessible shuttle. This shuttle is provided to transport guests from parking areas to accessible pathways leading to campus buildings and to transport guests between accessible pathways so that they can enter each building. We request that you contact us within two weeks of your program so that we can coordinate your transportation on campus.
If you require sign language interpretation for your program, please contact us a minimum of two weeks prior to your program so that we can make arrangements for you. If you plan to bring a service animal, please contact us prior to your stay. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task that a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.