The Whole Child Approach to Learning: A Conversation with Dr. Dan Siegel and Scott Kriens
Dan Siegel, MD, received his medical degree from Harvard University and is an internationally acclaimed author, educator, and child psychiatrist. The executive director of Mindsight Institute, Dr. Siegel is known for his unique ability to make complicated scientific concepts accessible. Dr. Siegel has addressed diverse audiences, including Google University and the Dalai Lama.
Listen to Dr. Dan Siegel and 1440 Cofounder Scott Kriens in this fascinating conversation about the great potential for learning when we address the mind and emotions in interactions and educational experiences.
- 1:40 Looking at the mind, emotions, and educational experiences of kids in K-12
- 3:48 Helping kids to truly learn, not just be taught
- 4:13 Changing STEM to STREAM
- 4:55 The RULER approach to education (from Dr. Marc Brackett of the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence)
- 5:18 Dr. Nadine Burke Harris’s work on negative child experiences and how they affect development of the whole child into adulthood
- 6:52 The “Yes Brain” and its connection to science and why it matters so much to the whole child approach to learning
- 9:05 The value of test takers vs. creative thinkers in innovative companies, and how to build resilience and creativity in the children in today’s world, i.e. how to cultivate the “Yes Brain” in kids
- 11:39 The “BRIE” concept in Dan’s book (Balance, Resilience, Insight, Empathy)
- 13:45 “I don’t have to lose my me in a we” (and how to become a “mwe” instead)
- 14:50 Performance expectations and the tragedy of teen suicide
- 16:20 The futility of the win/lose mindset and what happens in the brain during this process
- 19:00 The brain’s reaction to physical threats and social exclusion
- 20:18 “How do we develop the rest of ourselves … and be fully human?”
January 18 - 20, 2019
What does it really mean to awaken the mind—to be present, to be aware? Join Dan Siegel, MD, for an intensive weekend workshop diving deeply into the true essence and full experience of awareness. Based on his new book, Aware,...